Week 10: Planning a Europe Trip
The highlight of my visit to Austria was attending the Vienna Opera. E&I did not even consider it an option within our budget until our Couchsurfing host informed us it would only cost 3 EUR. Yes, 3 EUR or 4 USD. We navigated the system to attend Arabella and can now attest that this experience is a must for any traveler.
Here is the run down:
1. Check any Vienna Opera ticket website to find the Vienna Opera schedule. Look at the price and feel good that you will not be paying that price.
2. Bring a scarf (this is important) and some form of entertainment (deck of cards, magazine, ipod…).
3. Go to the back entrance of the Vienna Opera House 90 minutes prior to the scheduled performance.
4. Wait. Buy ticket (Note: 1 ticket per person. You cannot buy for a friend. You cannot send your friend to wait for you). Wait. Hand ticket to ticket collector.
5. Run! – This is where chaos ensues. Forget everything you know about etiquette. Find a spot you want and beat the person behind you, next to you, and in front of you to get there first. Wrap your scarf (remember when I said this would be important) around as much railing as you can to mark your spot. Do not touch another guest’s scarf.
6. Relax. You have 45 minutes. Explore the historic Vienna Opera House and buy a drink with all that money you saved.